Saturday, December 20, 2008

Over Pricing

I'm a little put off by a few things that happened this weekend involving my choice for going natural.


(hair after a co-wash)

The story starts off with my "loving" step-father (who me and my sister like to refer to being the creamy-crack pusher) offering to treat my mother, my sister (fellow napptual) and me to a day at the salon (Mani-Pedi's, brows and hair). Oh yeah, we'll go! Well, he of course set a spending limit (that's ok). We each couldn't go over $100 dollars. He says, "That should be enough to at least get a relaxer and something else. Right?" He really makes me mad how negative he is about natural hair. He's a typical self-hater.

Needless to say I didn't get a relaxer, but I did ask about any services the salon has for their natural clientel. I was very happy that they offered single and two-strand twist, cornrows etc. Well, good I thought, the cost for two-strand twist can't be over say $70 buck. Right? HA! Was I WRONG! It felt like the stylist slapped me when she said that twist start at $100. That's single strand mind you. $125 for two-strand. What the $%$#@@!!!!

(quick twists after co-wash)

I declined ever so politely, but then she asked did I feel that was too much. I told her the truth. I told her that if I was getting extensions I could understand, but my hair is no more than 5-6 inches. Matter a fact I've paid less than that for kinky twist. Thank you, but no thank you. I'll just wait.

Question: Was I wrong for pointing out her inflated prices?

No comments:

Post a Comment